Wednesday, February 23, 2011

NY Couture Fashion Week Experience

"Haute Couture should be fun, foolish, and almost unwearable"-Christian Lacroix [French fashion designer]

This past Friday, February 18th, I had the opportunity to go see one of the shows for New York Couture Fashion Week at the famous Waldorf Astoria hotel in NYC. This was my first time going to anything like this and I'm very grateful to Fransisco Romeo, editor of Hombre magazine, for inviting me to come see the show with him. Fransisco and I met this past December to do a few test shoots for his magazine--still a work in progress. I wore a black and white striped mini dress with one sleeve to the Couture show but unfortunately I DIDN'T bring my CAMERA!!!! My only regret of the night and huge mistake. I could of taken my own photos of the show and video :-( What was I thinking? The only things on my mind were getting to the show on time and anticipation of what I was about to witness. Fortunately Fransisco took some photos from that night; hopefully I'll get some of those to post on this entry!

Walking in to the Waldorf Astoria for the first time was an experience in itself; I felt like I was in another world. Once Fransisco and I made our way to the grand ballroom to see the show; I was in complete shock and awe of what was going on before my eyes. It was everything I expected and more. The fashionable music playing to the beat of the models runway steps and flowing bodies, the detailed colored lights displayed in sequenced arrays on the walls, the flashing light bulbs constantly shooting off from photographers and press, and an indescribable air to the entire scene that only exists in the world of fashion. We saw famous Lebanese fashion designer Hadi Katra's collection which consisted of bridal wear, couture fashion and ready-to-wear fashions. His designs were some of the most unique fashions I've seen thus far. I was literally on the edge of my seat the entire time, and for the first time in...probably ever, maintained perfect posture while sitting.

To get a visual of Hadi's design we saw that night, check out this photo collection from a photographer who was also there @ flickr

I didn't want the show to end. I was absorbing every single thing going on around me. Every detail, every design, outfit, model, people in the crowd...there's an art form to all of it. Its more than obvious to me that average people typically show a lack of appreciation, respect and understanding towards this world aka models and the fashion industry. Here's my two cents: seeing as I'm pursuing a career in modeling, I DO appreciate, respect and understand the industry. I know and understand why the models are super skinny, very tall, and very unique looking. It is not only a requirement for them to look that way but it is also a major part in the art of fashion. The clothes simply wouldn't flow the way they're supposed to if it weren't for these statuesque-slim women and men. I don't mean to sound harsh or offend, but if a 5'4" woman who wasn't...skinny...was walking down the runway in those outfits...it would destroy the art of fashion and never properly convey the message of the designers collection. That's the God honest truth, accept it or don't, just don't knock the models for their physique. They're not hired to be role models or display the average woman. Fashion shows aren't about the average!

Studying the bone structure and physical appearance of the models was amazing for me. Comparing one models walk with another was also really fun and entertaining. I had a few favorites in the show ;-) Seeing those super long legs dominate the runway was incredible. Watching the show just added more fuel to my ever-growing fire of desire to be up on that runway with them. I felt totally in my element surrounded by girls my height and taller. The ending of the show was beautiful and bittersweet because now I have to wait till September to see another one just like it!

Fransisco and I hung around for a while after the show to talk with some people he knew. He took a few pictures of me standing on the runway. I must say I felt like I was on someone else's territory but at least I looked like a model up there ;-) We saw the whole back stage area and the wardrobe/make up room...so surreal. I was just imagining how chaotic it was only a few moments earlier when the show was still going on. A lot of models were still hanging out as well and chatting with the stylists. I was lucky enough to meet the producer of the entire Couture show (thanks to Fransisco)! We then proceeded to another room where the red carpet was set up for the designers to take photos with their models. After that we headed over to the after party a few blocks away on 35th street. It wasn't your typical fashion show after party...compared to the last one I went to for Vogue magazine for NY fashion week September 2010. This after party was more low key and actually served food that models were actually eating! What a concept! It wasn't at your typical Manhattan night club with people drinking and crazy music (although those are fun too). I met some models, made some contacts, met new people and had a great time.

Needless to say I can't WAIT for my next fashion/model fix! I need to be surrounded by this as much as possible. Here's a video I found on YouTube from the show that night; its not a video of Hadi Katra's collection (couldn't find one of it!) but it takes place in the same room and shows the red carpet scene as well. The featured designer is Mireille Dagher.

No comments:

Post a Comment