Saturday, April 2, 2011

Risque Carnival Fashion Show

~*Risque Carnival*~

Make-up Artist Jordan & Mama Virgo
Real's *twirl* dress
On March 11th 2011 Mama Virgo had the privilege of working as a model in The Set NYC's event: Risque Carnival. This was my second time doing a fashion show for The Set NYC and this time around I recruited a new friend of mine, make-up artist Jordan Kristin, to come along and do my make-up for the show. Jordan, being more than familiar with the Spanish/Portuguese culture, planned out the perfect make-up look for the theme Carnival. The fashion event took place during the time when the real Carnival takes place in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. The Set NYC brought the Brazilian Carnival vibe to Sea Lounge NYC. I had no idea what designers were coming to the show until I got there, or what the clothes would look like but I was excited as ever to dress up Carnival style! Stylist Camille was there, along with clothing designer Real and bikini crochet designer Ivette Wilson.
Mama Virgo with another model & Eric Perkins from The Set NYC

Mama Virgo & Ivette Wilson
The first look I wore was a lingerie outfit with a matching feather mask put together by Camille--the mask was so pretty! Second look of the night was what I refer to as the twirl dress designed by Real. The twirl dress was so much fun to wear on the runway; the fabric flowed and twirled to the music of Marilyn Manson (one of my favorite music artists of all time). Hearing Manson while on the runway was an unexpected surprise that I'll never forget and cherish forever. Last but not least was Ivette's crochet outfit, my *favorite* outfit thus far out of anything I've worn in previous shows and photo shoots. Her line of hand-crocheted clothing is amazing and comfortable. She tried several different outfits on me before choosing the final one (my behind was a lil on the large side for some of the previous outfits I tried on lol) which is pictured in the photo of me with Jordan and the photo on the left. That outfit felt like it was made exactly for my body; once I put it on I knew I was gonna rock it.

Like any other Set NYC event, this one was just as upbeat and full of good vibes and good people. Having Jordan there with me was a blast and seeing her having fun and interacting with other industry people made me feel really excited for her. I love introducing my friends, who share the same interests when it comes to fashion and make-up, into this world and helping them make connections. I'm not your average model who only cares about making a name for myself and leaving others in the dust to fend for themselves. If I meet someone who is trying to climb the very difficult ladder of the fashion industry; I will introduce them to the industry people I know and keep them informed of things-going-on. That's the Virgo in me, I love to serve and help other's and see them succeed. I'm not a self-consumed bitchy model by any means.

Writing this entry is really frustrating because I have a lot of pictures I want to add to this and Google Blogger sucks when it comes to that. Its not letting me place the pictures where I want them thus screwing up the layout of my entry :( I have more pictures I want to post but I'm going to have to leave them out for now otherwise it'll just mess with the layout even more UGH (switching my blog over to Tumblr ASAP!)

Anyway Risque Carnival turned out to be a fantastic night. Jordan and I clicked really well with one of the male models, Ike Love, who is hilarious! He was really fun to hang out with after the show and made us laugh so much! Fashion blog writer and model friend-of-mine, Laz, came as well and wrote an entry for L'arbitre; his entry is really good. One of my oldest friends from back in the day showed up out of the blue to see me in the show which was so awesome and meant a lot to me. The ultimate bonus to being in this show was Ivette letting me keep the outfit I wore during her part of the show! When she said to me, "I want you to keep this," I almost cried (yeah Mama Virgo can get emotional-I know-strange). That was the first time a designer let me keep one of their outfits and was a huge honor. Ivette's collection of crocheted outfits are truly one-of-a-kind. Please check out Ivette's collection Eves Crochet. I hope to work with her again in the future and look forward to upcoming Set NYC events :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment